PleaseDon't sue me. If there is anything here that you own that you'd like me to remove, e-mail me at sbehofsits(at)gmail(dot)com and it will be taken down right away.
Tags5 for the weekend active child amazon sampler appetizer apple asparagus banana bars beach house beans Beats Best of Blackbird Blackbird broccoli cake cat power chickpeas chili chocolate chocolate chips cilantro cinnamon cocteau twins cookies cranberry crepes cupcakes dessert Doris Market Eats Epcot food free friends records grits Grocery hummus Italian lemon les sins list lo-fi mung music online orange orzo pasta photos picadillo polenta potato pudding pumpkin quinoa ravioli raw rice scone show shrimp soup sprouting strawberries Sweets thyme toro y moi vegan vegetables vegetarian veggies waffles washed out we are trees wine
Tag Archives: Beats
“A great record is its own best marketing tool” -Derek Webb, Co-Founder of NoiseTrade
Everyone loves something for free. Head over to Noisetrade.com to browse totally free, totally legal music shared by the artists themselves. Pick an album, enter your email address, receive a code and click on the link provided for a fast, simple, FREE way to get some new music. Check out Sleeping At Last’s Storyboards- available only until midnight tonight!
After finally getting a break from a parade of January birthdays, bachelorette party planning, moving, not moving, ?, work, and life in general this catch- up post will be a twofer.
First, I have been meaning to post a few songs from upcoming and recent releases mentioned earlier that I just can’t get enough of and maybe you’ll love too.
Millionyoung- Mien (Be So True EP)
This guy is definitely tied with the new Beach House album and Peruvian alfajores as my most recent addictions. Dreamy yet somewhat danceable, definitely swayable. I’m for it.
Beach House- Walk In The Park (Teen Dream)
Many call this the best album of 2010 but despite the fact that we’re only a month into the year, it might just be true. With 17 plays in only a few weeks (and trying to pace myself) every time I listen to this album it feels like going home and I love it even more. These songs are so delicate and simple yet intricate and layered. A more upbeat, mature follow up to 2008’s Devotion.
Electric President- Mr. Gone (The Violent Blue)
I was pleasantly surprised to find this one floating around on the internet as I hadn’t heard much of anything since S/T and Sleep Well. As far as I can tell this is more of the same but I am nevertheless looking forward to it. I’d probably file this under something like easy listening indie rock.
Plants and Animals- Tom Cruz (La La Land)
I enjoyed the mix of simplicity and occasional intensity (think New Kind of Love) from 2008’s Parc Avenue and have been waiting for a new album since. So far not disappointed. Continue reading
- 1/19: Millionyoung- Be So True EP
- 1/26: Beach House- Teen Dream
- 2/2: Toro Y Moi- Causers of This, Midlake- The Courage of Others
- 2/9: Yeasayer- Odd Blood, Hot Chip- One Life Stand
- 2/23: Rocky Votolato- True Devotion, The Radio Dept- Clinging To a Scheme, Electric President- The Violent Blue
- 4/20: Plants and Animals- La La Land
We all have our guilty pleasures we treat ourselves with from time to time or our pick-me-ups to put us in a better mood. For some it’s splurging on electronics, fine wine, or some form of retail therapy. For others, it’s browsing vinyls at Radioactive Records in Ft. Lauderdale. Sure, you can find just about anything on the internet these days, but there’s just something about stumbling upon that record you’ve been aching to own. Voted New Time’s best record store in 2008, Radioactive has everything from new and used vinyls and cds to posters, magazines, and equipment. They even have a large selection of albums from current bands like Radiohead, Animal Collective, Ratatat, and Weezer. If they don’t have what you want, they will find it for you. Really. I can always count on finding something new there and with an everchanging inventory, I rarely leave empty handed. For updates, new stock, and in-store shows follow them on your social networking site of choice: Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, or Blogger.
My latest Radioactive buys:
1. Cat Stevens- Teaser and The Firecat $1
2. The Association- Greatest Hits $1
3. The Beatles- Magical Mystery Tour $2.95
4. My Morning Jacket- Acoustic Citsuoca $14 (new)
5. The Who- By Numbers $2.95
It’s that time of year again in the music world when magazines and websites become flooded with their “Best of” lists. This, of course, would include the best albums of the year, and, this year, the best albums of the decade. While it’s entertaining to read what the “big guys” come up with, I’m way more interested in hearing what albums other people like me keep going back to over time. Music has a way of evoking feelings like nothing else can, able to take you back to those good and not-so-good times of your life almost as if you are reliving those exact moments. Memories and experiences are what make these personal connections to music so strong and unique, making each person’s list fascinatingly different from the next.
What’s been your soundtrack this past year… or ten?
My top 25:
25. Modest Mouse: Good News For People Who Love Bad News
24. Grandaddy: The Sophtware Slump
23. Brand New: The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me
22. Iron & Wine: The Creek Drank The Cradle
21. Arcade Fire: Funeral
20. Dirty Projectors: Bitte Orca
19. Animal Collective: Merriweather Post Pavilion
18. MGMT: Oracular Spectacular
17. Dinosaur Jr.: Farm
16. Dashboard Confessional: A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scar
15. The xx: xx
14. Au Revoir Simone: Still Night, Still Light
13. The Antlers: Hospice
12. Ra Ra Riot: The Rhumb Line
11. Bon Iver: For Emma, Forever Ago
10. The Radio Dept.: Pet Grief
9. Sufjan Stevens: Come On Feel The Illinoise
8. Fleet Foxes: Fleet Foxes
7. Death Cab For Cutie: Plans
6. Band Of Horses: Cease To Begin
5. Wye Oak: The Knot
4. Patrick Watson: Closer To Paradise
3. Radiohead: In Rainbows
2. My Morning Jacket: At Dawn
1. Coldplay: Parachutes
- Paste– Sufjan Stevens: Illinoise
- Uncut– The White Stripes: White Blood Cells
- eMusic– The Strokes: Is This It
- Gorilla vs. Bear– Raekwon: Only Built For Cuban Link Pt. II
- Pitchfork– Radiohead: Kid A
- Q Magazine– Kasabian: West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum
UPDATE: Tons more listener lists here